Mr.Fox and Mr.Raccoon

September 23, 2013 § 10 Comments

Fox Purse

In Issue 10 of Simply Crochet, there’s a foxy purse that I designed on p.85. I love doing fun things like this, and given my poor record at finishing projects, it’s nice to be able to do something that doesn’t take very long! If you’d like to see how to make him, you can buy an issue at My Favourite Magazines – this link is for the subscriptions page, but there is also a link top right of the central column for buying a single issue – or search the digital magazines page for Simply Crochet in your format of choice.

The simple shape of the basic purse lends itself to some cute animal variations, so I thought I’d have a go at some others based on these shapes. So, without further ado, may I introduce Mr. Raccoon…Mr.Raccoon

You will need the pattern from Simply Crochet to make the basic semi-circle shape, but instead of making 2 semi-circles for the purse pocket and 1 triangle for the flap, you will need to make 3 semi-circles in grey in total; 2 for the pocket and 1 for the flap. You will then need 2 ‘patches’ for the eyes, and 2 ears:

UK crochet terms used throughout.

Eye Patches (make 2)

With black DK yarn and a 3.5mm (US E/4) hook, ch5.

Row 1 Dc in second ch from hook, dc in each of next 2 ch, 3dc in next ch, dc in each of next 3 ch, turn. [9 sts]

Row 2 Ch1 (doesn’t count as st), 4dc, 3dc in next dc, 4dc, turn. [11 sts]

Row 3 Ch1 (doesn’t count as st), 5dc, 3dc in next dc, 2dc, 3htr, fasten off black, turn. [13 sts]

Row 4 Join white DK in first st, ch1 (doesn’t count as st), 6dc, 3dc in next dc, 6dc, turn. [15 sts]

Row 5 Ch1 (doesn’t count as st), 6dc, 2dc in next st, 1dc, 2dc in next st, 6dc. [17 sts]

Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing, and weave in starting end.

For the eyes, you can either embroider a circle using small chain stitches and white yarn with a black French knot in the centre, or use 2 small circles of white felt and a French knot in black. I cheated a bit in the photo because I couldn’t lay my hands on my scraps of white felt, so I used a bit of craft foam and made a dot in pen for the eyes.

When you sew the two patches to the flap, turn one over so that they will be symmetrical.

Ears (make 2)

With grey DK yarn and a 3.5mm (US E/4) hook, ch2.

Row 1 (RS) 3dc in the second ch from the hook, turn. [3 sts]

Row 2 Ch1 (doesn’t count as st), 2dc in each dc, turn. [6 sts]

Row 3 Ch1 (doesn’t count as st), (1dc, 2dc in next st) 3 times. [9 sts]

Fasten off, leaving a long tail, and weave in starting end.

Use the long tail to sew each ear to the top of the flap. With white DK yarn, ss around the outside edge of each ear, fasten off and weave in all ends.

Sew a black button centre bottom for the nose.

That’s him sorted! There may even be a Mr.Hedgehog to bring up the rear. I’ll keep you posted.

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to Mr.Fox and Mr.Raccoon

• Wocky says:

Your pattern is so adorable! It was one of the reasons I just had to buy Crochet magazine. I did have a question about it, though. When I’m stitching the semi-circles, what is the straight edge seems to come out pointy, so that the whole thing looks like a pie slice rather than a semi-circle. What could I be doing wrong?

• caramedus says:

Hi Wocky, glad you like the pattern! The semi-circle will come out slightly ‘pointy’ because the increases are not staggered in the pattern. This is a problem with all crochet circles or semi-circles where the increases occur in the same place on every row. I could have written staggered increases into the pattern but I chose not to because it was supposed to be a basic pattern, and also because when you join the two halves together with a double crochet seam it evens out the points. The one in the photo in the mag was made exactly as the pattern is written, and you can’t see a pointed edge on that one. Hope that helps and answers your question! 🙂

• Andreea says:

Hi there,

I totally agree with Wocky. I’ve bought the magazine for the same reason, too. It is an amazing pattern! Mr Fox looks very posh!I am currently in the making of it. Will let you know how it turns out. Fingers crossed!

One thing I would like to say: I would have loved to see more pictures of the final product.( i.e the back of the purse, inside it – with the flap open etc) I think that would have helped us more when following your gorgeous pattern. I assume that they couldn’t fit more in the magazine, but maybe here, on your blog, if you’re kind enough and have some pics it would be much appreciated. Just a thought!:)

All these being said, keep up the good work and keep them coming. We love them all!

Best wishes,
    Andreea

• caramedus says:

Thanks for the kind comments Andreea! I agree, it would have made it easier to have more photos on the feature. At the moment, the way this feature is planned means that there isn’t much room for more photos, but I will feed your comments back to the Editor.

When I wrote this post I had actually mislaid my sample of Mr.Fox! I couldn’t find him anywhere which was annoying because I wanted to take some of my own photos. I have since found him again, so when I have a spare moment I will consider adding a few more photos here.
      With best wishes for happy crocheting 🙂 x

• Andreea says:

Hello again,

Thank you for taking my suggestion under consideration. It means a lot. Also, I do hope that the Editor is going to allow you more space in the feature next time. We would love to see more of your creations.

I have got great news! Mr. Fox is ready! It is looking fabulous! I did, however, end up using 2 strands of DK yarn, 5 mm crochet hook and doubled the size of everything. The final product measures approx 10 x 7 in. It is more like a medium bag, with lots of room inside. I’ve also added a long, thin handle to it, fully lined it and under the nose I’ve put a tiny piece of velcro as a fastening option. I will make the tiny version, too…to go with it:). If I have got the time next week I might put some pics on my blog and let you know.

I might try my hand at Mr. Raccoon next!:)… Mr. Fox is feeling kind of lonely on his own lol…

Best regards,
        Andreea

• caramedus says:

Really pleased Mr.Fox has turned out so well Andreea. I would love to see some photos if you have them. I noticed someone else on Instagram had done the same thing as you in ‘super sizing’ it to make it into a bag. Great idea! I will have to start a Pinterest board for the foxy pics – will investigate.

• Andreea says:

Hi,

Many thanks for adding my pin on your Pinterest board. I am so glad that you like it! I am most proud of the fact that Mr. Fox turned out pretty much as in the original picture and that I could do it in such a short period of time, without too much hassle. Great pattern! I love coming up with new patterns of my own (although I haven’t shared them, yet -WIP) but, I also love trying my hand at other people’s patterns and do them justice. I should rethink my career and follow in your footsteps lol…

I hope that I’ll be able to finish Mr. Raccoon as well. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again! Happy crocheting! x

All the best,
        Andreea

• stabberwocky says:

More photos would certainly help! Mine has come out lozenge-shaped thus far, which is fine, but which doesn’t really match the photo. Still, I think it will be cute.

• caramedus says:

I have added a board on Pinterest for makes on my designs, so let me know if you would like to post a pic of yours.