You’re a budding designer that is thinking about preparing patterns for publication, or you’re already submitting designs to publishers and want to improve your reputation as a quality contributor. This course is designed to improve your pattern writing skills, and give you an awareness of the production process to inform your pattern writing decisions.
This is made up of 3 course units:
1. Introduction to Pattern Writing
- Pattern standards, UK and US variations
- Writing according to a certain pattern style
- The basic principles for good pattern writing
- An awareness of the reader in terms of skill levels, expectations and learning styles
- Identifying areas for improvement in your own/others’ pattern writing
- Understanding and using conventional pattern structure
- The importance of writing a pattern in conjunction with the pattern sample
- Developing strategies to improve accuracy
2. Writing Stitch Pattern Instructions
- Identifying and using standard features of a stitch pattern
- Identifying and writing stitch pattern repeats and calculating multiples
- Identifying and writing row pattern repeats
- Choosing appropriate repeat formats and using them consistently
- Strategies for condensing patterns and how to apply these appropriately
3. Charts, Photos and Diagrams
- Judging the need for supplementary info like charts, photos and diagrams
- Developing an awareness of how the pattern will appear when published, and the needs of the reader
- How to present simple grid-type charts for colourwork, and the features required
- How to present symbol charts, and the features required
Each unit costs £30 and will be invoiced at the beginning of each unit. You can work at your own pace, although I find it is best for motivation purposes to schedule a date for end of unit feedback! There is no obligation to buy further units. This price includes copies of all presentations and reference material, written feedback on assignments, and a 1-1 video session for feedback at the end of each unit.
If you’d like more information please contact me.